update to F11 with yum

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jun 2 03:51:54 UTC 2009

On Monday 01 June 2009, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 21:01 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Well, its busy putting the finishing touches and the reboot to rawhide
>> right now.  It just asked for a runlevel 3 passwd.
>>
>> And the first casualty is my accessory usb mouse, its dead and I am stuck
>> with that totally worthless scratchpad, which I swear picks up the local
>> radio station, its totally spastic if the hand isn't held so high above
>> the keyboard when typing that its strictly one finger typing.
>
>Gene, I think if you look at System -> Hardware -> Mouse in F11, there
>is a setting to disable the touchpad when typing.  If you don't see
>that, or if you use KDE and it doesn't offer that option, check out
>syndaemon, which is the utility that accomplishes that.  It's part of
>the synaptics driver package.

To do that, it has to recognize a doubletap or a left click on the scratchpad.
It did neither.  F10 disk in drive, boot from dvd try 2 now, it locked up when
I tried to delete the existing LVM crap so I could partition it the way I
wanted on the first try.

And it just did it again, would not delete the LVM stuff, claiming I had to
define a root partition, so I went down to /dev/sda1, the ntfs partition, and
clicked edit.  And for the second time it is frozen solid.  I was going to
remove it as the xp install on that 30 gigs is of no more use to me, and set
it up as a couple of linux partitions, starting with a 500 meg /boot.

Correction, it will wake up and let me move the mouse 2 or 3 inches, then
freeze again for 2 or 3 minutes.

I've been bitching long and loudly (since FC2 TBE) about the fedora
partitioning tools, and every increment in fedora finds an even more piss-
poor, broken partitioning tool being supplied.  Its LVM or there is the hiway
to fedora, and from 2 personal experiences, one wrong byte on an LVM
system=total loss.  Reinstall from scratch, there is no repair facility, no
e2fsck for lvm. Screw that...

I'll find a copy of gparted and fix it, then see if I can bypass that menu,
really folks, but why the hell should I have to?

Humm, better yet, I have a kubuntu-8.04 disk around here someplace.  Yeah,
that's the ticket.  And that will leave only this box running fedora 10 in my
whole network.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Never insult an alligator until you've crossed the river.