OT: Can Reformatting A Hard Drive To ext3 Destroy All the Data On It?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 2 22:10:04 UTC 2009

Tim:
>> But do you know what the drive does when you use that function?  ;-\

Bruno Wolff III:
> Reading the drive back in should give you a good idea. If that isn't enough
> of a check for you then you should just be destroying the drive.

While that would tell you that *you* couldn't read your own drive back,
it doesn't tell you whether someone else could.  In the paranoid
security concious arena, you'd need to know exactly how their secure
erase function works, before you could trust it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.