Questions with rsync

Mail Lists lists at sapience.com
Wed Jun 3 23:51:06 UTC 2009

On 06/03/2009 06:13 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 03Jun2009 11:00, Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com> wrote:
>> GMS S wrote:

> I use an extra level of complexity on top of this approach: I hard link
> the previous backup directory to the new date, then rsync to the new

  A simpler (and far superior) way is to use rdiff-backup - it keeps a
top level total backup - and incrementals going back as far as you want.
I am running backups every 2 hours - and will reduce to hourly. It takes
a while the first time like basic rsync - and it uses rsync library (ie
same technology as rsync).

 Strongly recommended.

gene