network question - is this unusual?

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Jun 4 23:21:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 04:01:51PM -0700, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> I recently had to deal with my ISP about a connectivity problem that
> turned out to be on their end. (The tech referred to linux as lie-nux
> and insisted on doing everything in XP which I fortunately had
> dual-booted.) But in the process of working through this it was
> necessary for me to describe the way I'd set up my LAN here and he
> seemed incredulous. This wouldn't bother me except that I've gotten this
> reaction before from people in the outside world but never an
> explanation. So I'm asking: is there something weird about this
> structure? Is there some "better" or more standard setup?

I would think there's nothing unusual about this.

The tech is probably used to totally clueless people who just plug
their windoze box directly into the provided modem, rather than people
who have a home LAN.

I had a similar setup for years even when we still used dialup here for
our connectivity. A PC running Smoothwall, using PPP to connect to my
ISP and letting PPP auto-dial when it felt the need to go online.  Slow,
yes, but everything "just worked". Switching to cable was a no-brainer,
mostly: did a second Smoothwall installation on another crappy old PC,
(just in case I ever wanted to revert, so I wouldn't have blown away a
known-working configuration) configured it to use a 2nd ethernet card
for the WAN side in lieu of the modem and we were off to the races! (some
time later I got a cheap linksys router to use instead, primarily because
it uses about a tenth the power of the old PC.)