network question - is this unusual?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jun 5 13:41:31 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> Isn't it unusual to connect the modem to the DSL socket on the router?  The
> only time I've set up one where I had to use the supplied modem I used the
> router as a switch, connecting the modem to one of the LAN sockets.
>
> Anne

It is very common when you have a modem that does not have a
firewall/router build in. This is especially true when you only get
one IP address, and use NAT so you can have more then one computer
with access to the Internet. Most home users, as well as small
business users, are using the firewall, dhcp server, and NAT
features of the firewall/router.

Mikkel