network question - is this unusual?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jun 5 16:22:13 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 05 June 2009 14:41:31 Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> It is very common when you have a modem that does not have a
>> firewall/router build in. This is especially true when you only get
>> one IP address, and use NAT so you can have more then one computer
>> with access to the Internet. Most home users, as well as small
>> business users, are using the firewall, dhcp server, and NAT
>> features of the firewall/router.
>>
> I see. So I need to find out whether my daughter's BT router (with a single
> connection socket) contains a firewall or not.
>
> I would have preferred to get rid of it, but it seems to be tied in - they
> don't allow you access to any settings whatsoever, as far as I can see, so
> you can't just replace it with a standard router.
>
> Anne

If it does not have some type of interface that lets you configure
the firewall, then it probably does not have one. My DSL modem has a
web interface that lets you connect/disconnect, and configure a few
other features, but it does not have a configurable firewall. It
only blocks the ports my ISO does not want me using. Incoming port
80 and port 25 connections for example. It used to block outgoing
port 25 connections before I convinced them that I needed it for
outgoing connections to my hosted mail server.

Mikkel