update to F11 with yum

Alan Evans ame.fedora at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 17:15:56 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Sharpe, Sam J wrote:

> "You're asking to remove X, and I know of Y and Z which are only
> required by X - so you should probably remove X,Y, AND Z at the same
> time"

This is my understanding as well. And since:

    [alan at agena ~]$ rpm -q --whatrequires basesystem
    no package requires basesystem

I'm not disinclined to believe that the plugin is doing the wrong
thing. But I don't know that, and I'm not even sure that the plugin
itself isn't a red-herring in this case. I'm trying to produce a
tighter test case than I currently have. (Removing glibc.i386 also
takes more than a dozen legitimate dependencies with it, so I'm trying
to narrow it all down to a reproducible minimal case.) Given the
choice between solving a problem and avoiding it, I'd rather solve it.

In real life, I'm a embedded system engineer. In my world,
understanding a problem is a necessary prerequisite to fixing it. I'm
not particularly fond of the attitude of, "It doesn't work right so
don't use it." And my natural inclination to push back at it has
probably earned me an annoyance rank somewhere just below Karl Larsen.
I'm sorry about that, I guess.