PS Re: Something bollixing packagekit

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 17:30:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 04:33:25PM +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 16:01:32 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>
> > When I click the launcher for gpk-update-viewer, it gets an error popup
> > saying "No network connection available," even though one is, and every
> > other app is using it. The "Details" in the popup say merely "Cannot
> > refresh cache whilst offline."
>
> 	I happened to think of stopping NetworkManager. Sure enough, now
> PackageKit works. I hope that tells somebody something.

Is it possible your messagebus (D-Bus) had a problem?  Do you have any
other D-Bus listeners that are having problems?

The easiest way to test is to reboot and see if the problem persists.
(Yes, this is not the only way, but it's easiest if you don't want to
get into start/stopping services, and so forth.)

If it *does* persist, check your PK configuration perhaps?

[paul at salma ~]$ grep UseNetworkManager /etc/PackageKit/PackageKit.conf
UseNetworkManager=true

(The default configuration is "true," by the way.)  If PK is supposed
to be using NetworkManager for managing your network connection and
you disable a network connection in NM without telling it that you're
managing it elsewhere, it may tell other apps that no network exists.

You can set manual configurations in NetworkManager, or if you set
them with system-config-network, you can mark them as not to be
managed by NetworkManager, and PK's heuristics should just do the
right thing.