RPM noob (query, log, build)

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sat Jun 6 09:14:48 UTC 2009

On 06/05/2009 10:41 PM, Thufir wrote:
> So, I went and built my first RPM recently.  I had to go back and forth a
> bit with the developers, but it's built from the most recent svn update
> of curl-java, and, from what I see, is exactly what I wanted to install
> is installed the way I want it installed.  However, I don't understand
> why the rpm query isn't returning the expected result.
> [root at arrakis i386]# rpm -qa curl-java-0.2.3-2.i386
> [root at arrakis i386]# rpm -qa curl-java-0.2.3-2.i386.rpm

First, don't use "-qa" unless you need to.  Using "-qa" is really only
useful if you're matching a glob-style pattern against all package
names.  For instance, "rpm -qa curl*".  If you're not using a glob-style
pattern, "-qa" is quite slow and provides no benefit over "-q".

Second, use only the name of the package with both query styles (again,
unless you need to):

rpm -q curl-java
rpm -qa curl-java

Using the name only will work with both query styles.  Using the version
and arch only works with "-q".