Will F11 save sessions?

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sat Jun 6 17:14:15 UTC 2009

On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 16:03:03 +0000 (UTC)
Beartooth wrote:

> 	Does that work if I have several UPSs as well as several
> computers?

Different UPS's have different capabilities, depending in large part on how
well supported they are by nut, which is the software that runs on your
computers  that the UPS talks to.

The theory of operation is that when the UPS battery is getting low, it sends a
signal (usually over a USB cable) to the computer to tell it that the battery
is low.  The program running on the computer (nut) listens for that signal,
and when it arrives then nut runs the shutdown command on your computer.

You can get fancy where nut will receive the "shut me down" signal from the UPS
on one computer and then tell several other computers to shut down too.

You can read all about this on the nut webpage:

http://www.networkupstools.org/doc/2.2.0/

> Also, two laptops and an EeePC are sometimes in the LAN,
> sometimes not -- and may be connected to various UPSs ...

Laptops and your eeepc have their own internal battery power and are likely also
running gnome-power-manager or similar to monitor the state of their own
battery and do an automatic shut down if it's low.  In other words, they're
probably already set up to look after themselves and nut is irrelevant.

You can look at nut as being a software that does a job on a desktop computer
that is similar to what gnome-power-manager does on a laptop.