Will F11 save sessions?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sat Jun 6 21:55:10 UTC 2009

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Beartooth <Beartooth at comcast.net> writes:
>> 	Does that work if I have several UPSs as well as several
>> computers? Also, two laptops and an EeePC are sometimes in the LAN,
>> sometimes not -- and may be connected to various UPSs ...
>
> There is also a program called apcusd (also in yum) that will allow one
> main computer to signal an orderly shutdown of a bunch of clients before
> it, itself shuts down.  I run it here in standalone mode since only the
> main computer is on the ups.  It works fine.  Just remember to test with
> the computer plugged into the 110v line directly and a 100w bulb or two
> plugged into the ups.  You can make sure the shutdown is orderly and
> work out the bugs before going live.  I like to test by throwing the
> breakers -- that way it is a true test without all sorts of little stuff
> like routers modems staying on and acting differently from a real power
> failure.

Why should that be any different?  My cable modem and router are plugged
into the same UPS as my home server.  That way, when we first lose
power, we don't lose the Internet connection (unless the ISP has also
lost power), nor do we lose the wireless connection to the laptops which
have batteries.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com