Skype under Fedora-10

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Jun 7 13:49:42 UTC 2009

Tim wrote:

> I don't care if they run a service that people can pay for.  What I do
> care about is a lockin/lockout system.  Skype only talks to Skype.  The
> same problem with various other VOIP systems; the proprietary ones only
> talk to their own.  I've used a few VOIP systems that gave you no way to
> even dial anyone outside of their own system.  Sure you can pay extra to
> get a PSTN number, but the other side might have to do the same thing,
> too.  And just having one side *have* to do that, never mind both,
> obviates the purpose of using VOIP, in the first place.
> Skype tries to force everyone onto their system.  And their system has
> plenty of other unsavoury aspects to it.  The more anyone reverse
> engineers their closed system, the more disagreeable things are found
> out about it.  Heck, even using some of these VOIP systems you find they
> suck at audio quality, so not wanting to use a particular client for
> non-technical reasons, is also a part of the equation.
> Skype doesn't have to be a bastard, they do it deliberately.
>
> For a change I'm with Kevin on this one.  Though it's not the same as
> his issues with hardware.  Anyone can produce and disseminate
> alternative software.  Hardware can only be produced by manufacturers.
> Kowtowing to Skype is the thin end of the wedge, you might as well go
> the whole way, and use a completely proprietary system behind it
> (Windows, etc.), too, if you think it's easier to just go with the flow.

This is completely unbalanced.

I'm presently in Italy,
and I want to talk to my family in Ireland.
I can and do do this over Skype, for nothing.
As far as I can see there is no alternative.

So what do you want me to do?
Pay for long-distance phone calls,
just to satisfy some bizarre ethical concern of yours?

I looked at ekiga (and asterisk),
and in my opinion they are completely useless for this task.
Both seem to have been documented by cyborgs,
who are more or less incapable of explaining in simple terms
what you have to do to use their toys.

I think the commercial basis for Skype is quite appealing.
As far as I can see, they rely for funding
on those who use Skype for ringing landlines or mobile phones.

I don't understand why there is not a similar Linux system.
Surely developing a VoIP protocol can't be brain surgery?
And what exactly is the advantage or using SIP?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net