Skype under Fedora-10

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200906 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 14:42:40 UTC 2009

Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> writes:
> And their system has plenty of other unsavoury aspects to it.  The
> more anyone reverse engineers their closed system, the more
> disagreeable things are found out about it.

Normally one just has to worry about theoretical problems with trojans
hidden inside binary programs like skype.  In this case, it is quite
clear from looking at the traffic that skype was stealing user's
bandwidth for carrying totally unrelated 3rd-party voice traffic by
looping it into and out of the user's system.

    http://chris.pirillo.com/are-you-a-skype-supernode/

Just the fact that they are doing this makes me wonder what other stuff
they are pulling.

(And yes, they *now* have a flag to turn off this trojan mode after all
the raised eyebrows.)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              Android 1.5 (Cupcake) and Fedora-11