Skype under Fedora-10

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Jun 7 16:31:28 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 18:30:33 +0300,
  Veli-Pekka Kestilä <fedora at guagua.fi> wrote:

> And this is why it would be nice to have opensource application doing
> the same thing as skype. It's basicly only way to compete with
> commercial providers.

There already are. There are some cooperative groups that shared their
land lines for local terminations of calls.

> It's also the reason how Skype was able to compete in the market as they
> didn't need big server infrastructure to keep calls working.

Skype is doing well in part because they refuse to support open standards
that would allow people using nonskype software to make calls to their
customers. They are trying to create artificial network effects to help
them own the market. This isn't the kind of behavior I want to encourage.