Running 2.6.27 on F11 instead of 2.6.29

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 16:41:34 UTC 2009

Hello,

I wanted to check with you whether this is feasible before I attempted
it. I use a ATI HD4870 so I _need_ the proprietary drivers for a working
GUI. However they don't support 2.6.29 yet. So I was advised on the
RPMFusion list, that if I really wanted to upgrade to F11, I install F11
downgrade the kernel to 2.6.27 and use akmod.

I had some concerns about the use of stronger hashes[1] in F11, but I
was told they are backwards compatible. So my question is, would
installing F11 and using the F10 kernel rpms to downgrade the kernel to
2.6.27 to use proprietary drivers from RPMFusion along with akmod be
good idea?

I want to upgrade mostly because of XFCE 4.6. I wanted to get rid of
Gnome completely and move to XFCE and Windowmaker. Gnome is too slow
even on high-end hardware like mine. Sometimes simply opening Firefox or
Thunderbird takes ages(5-10s). If someone were to tell me XFCE 4.6 would
be available in F10 I would abandon all this jumping through hoops right
away. :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--
Suvayu