config network-manager

Niels Haase arxs at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 8 06:38:45 UTC 2009

2009/6/5 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>:
> Frank Cox wrote:
>> On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 17:22:31 +0200
>> François Patte wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks. I have seen this. But everytime I reboot the system, wired and
>>> wireless connection are ticked and everytime nm chooses to connect
>>> trough wireless....
>>>
>>> Is there somewhere a config file where I can tell nm that the default
>>> connection is the wired one.
>>
>> I did this on my main laptop a while back but I can't remember exactly what I
>> did.  It may have have something to do with removing the word "auto" in the
>> description.  My intention was to be able to connect manually to either one of
>> my two WAP's, without the machine making the choice for me.
>>
>> I know that it was pretty straight-forward to do but again, I can't remember
>> exactly what I did.  But it can be done.
>>
> Things must have changed, or something. I know the default was to
> use the wired connection, if the link was up, and change to the
> wireless connection if it was not. It is probably still a
> configuration option. (I am not on my laptop, so I can not check it.)

Please check your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX (where X
is your wireless card) and look for
"ONBOOT=yes". If that is present, then you likely get automatic
connected to the WLAN. Change it to "no" and you are able to active
wifi only if you wish by choosing the the preferred wifi network at
the NM icon. Please also check if you wired connection is also set to
onboot=yes, if not, no interface get started unless you active it
manual.

--
Regards,
Niels