How and when do updates of apps get into repos?

DB Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 8 11:52:43 UTC 2009

Hi all,

A question that has scratched at my grey cell for a time.....

There are apps in repos & there are more recent versions on their home
pages or in Source Forge - how and when do the updated versions get
incorporated into the repos?

And the other side of the same question.... If I install/build/compile
or whatever one of these updated versions into my F10, will yum & co be
able to keep tabs on it or must I keep a running watch on the page I got
it from?

And.... if I find an RPM on a non-Fedora site, what are likely/possible
side-effect consequences of installing it??

Thanks

Dave