Problem using file /etc/ethers

Fau dalamenona at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 12:52:46 UTC 2009

Greetings to anyone,
i'm trying to reach a NAS that autoconfigure its IP address with DHCP,
I can't foresee the address because I'm not the dhcp server administrator,
so I put in /etc/ethers:
00:d0:4b:87:4a:ac 192.168.0.111

192.168.0.111 (is a random address in the same subnet of my pc)

My IP address is 192.168.0.5
but running ping 192.168.0.111 all the packet are dropped
smbclient -L 192.168.0.111 return with
Connection failed (Error NT_STATUS_HOST_UNREACHABLE)

Doing strace ping 192.168.0.111 i can see that /etc/ethers is not read by
ping

In /etc/nsswitch.conf there is the line about ethers and is set as
ethers:    files

Is /etc/ethers deprecated and no program read it?
Thank you in advance for your help,
regards,
Fau