F10: grub won't boot, beeps instead

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Mon Jun 8 13:16:48 UTC 2009

Hi all,

This afternoon I went to reboot my F10 system, and after the usual BIOS
initializations, it now hangs when it should boot Grub; "GRUB" is displayed
and the system just starts beeping incessantly.

I dug out the F9 rescue disk, and it was able to mount the system normally
under /mnt/sysinstall, so there should be no problem with my file systems.
Poking around /boot/grub, Menu.lst was last updated on 29 May, probably the
date I installed the latest kernel (I hadn't rebooted after doing that). To
my untrained eye, menu.lst looks OK.

At this point, I'd welcome suggestions on how to proceed further.

FWIW:
boot = /dev/sdc1
root = /dev/sdc2
usr = /dev/sdc3