Running 2.6.27 on F11 instead of 2.6.29

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 14:04:41 UTC 2009

2009/6/8 Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to>:
> On Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 09:41:34 -0700,
>  Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I wanted to check with you whether this is feasible before I attempted
>> it. I use a ATI HD4870 so I _need_ the proprietary drivers for a working
>> GUI. However they don't support 2.6.29 yet. So I was advised on the
>> RPMFusion list, that if I really wanted to upgrade to F11, I install F11
>> downgrade the kernel to 2.6.27 and use akmod.
>>
>> I had some concerns about the use of stronger hashes[1] in F11, but I
>> was told they are backwards compatible. So my question is, would
>> installing F11 and using the F10 kernel rpms to downgrade the kernel to
>> 2.6.27 to use proprietary drivers from RPMFusion along with akmod be
>> good idea?
>
> Some of the graphics stuff has minimum kernel levels. In particular with
> all of the KMS work going on there is a good chance it won't be easy to make
> this work. If 2D accelleration is good enough you should get that right now
> with the open source drivers.

2D acceleration is good enough for me. I don't even run compiz. But
the open source drivers can't even boot to runlevel 5 for my hardware,
let alone a working desktop. I had to do a text install to get F10 on
this box. I got a working gui only after I got the fglrx stuff from
RPMFusion installed from runlevel 3. However I have to admit the last
time I tried the open source drivers was early this year (around
February-March). Have they changed enough to warrant another try?

--
Suvayu