Skype under Fedora-10

Linux Media linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Mon Jun 8 20:44:52 UTC 2009

>> I'm presently in Italy,
>> and I want to talk to my family in Ireland.
>> I can and do do this over Skype, for nothing.
>> As far as I can see there is no alternative.

> There is, you just need to install an SIP client on both ends instead of the
> proprietary Skype client. There are plenty of SIP clients, all
> interoperating. Well-behaved SIP servers interoperate too. (It is also
> possible to connect to multiple SIP servers at once, but normally, that's
> not necessary.)
>
>         Kevin Kofler

I was running gnomemeeting for (mostly) voice and (some) web cam. My
friend in Australia was using Microsoft Netmeeting. I was excited to
have this open source alternative. It's just that I could never learn
how to optimise it and we always had a huge delay.

I am also seeing your point Kevin. But the fatal flaw seems to be in not
having good documentation.

The other alternative (when there's not sufficient documentation) is to
spend forever learning a whole new field of computing. But who has time
to do this every time one wants to do something new on the computer?

I'm not exactly brilliant, but even if I was, I wouldn't have the time
to learn everything about fixing a car, my electric can opener and
whatever million things there are to run/fix.

Most of this seems to hinge on good/understandable documentation. And
I'm not talking about insider techno-speak.

Thanks,
Rocco