Virtual Box install problem on FC10

Yoram Halberstam yoram.halberstam at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 22:11:20 UTC 2009

it says:

vboxdrv                93896  0

Ok, if I need to go back to square one (the 4th email of this chain)... I
compiled the stuff and then I had

Failed to start the virtual machine Kids.

VirtualBox can't operate in VMX root mode. Please disable the KVM kernel
extension, recompile your kernel and reboot (VERR_VMX_IN_VMX_ROOT_MODE).

 Result Code:

NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

Component:

Console

Interface:

IConsole {9511bc54-15ee-4ddf-808e-472aba03809c}

How do I compile my kernel without this KVM kernel extension and what is the
side effects of doing so?

Cheers

2009/6/8 Sharpe, Sam J
<sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com<sam.sharpe%2Blists.redhat at gmail.com>

> 2009/6/8 Yoram Halberstam <yoram.halberstam at gmail.com>:
> > yum install akmod-VirtualBox-OSE works... well, it installs all the
> packages
> > and when I reboot does stuff.
> >
> > Running VirtualBox I had an error message, so I tried as root and got the
> > following
> >
> > --------------------
> >
> > WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no
> module
> >          available for the current kernel
> (2.6.27.24-170.2.68.fc10.i686.PAE)
> > or it failed to
> >          load. Reboot the computer, or insert the kernel module by
> executing
> >
> >            '/sbin/modprobe vboxdrv' (as root)
> >
> >          You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
> > Qt WARNING: QGtkStyle cannot be used together with the GTK_Qt engine.
> > Qt WARNING: Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication
> > protocols specified are supported
> >
> > ------------
> >
> > I ran /sbin/modprobe vboxdrv with no error...
> >
> > when I run VirtualBox from commandline or from the icon I get an error
> > screen
> >
> > -----------
> > Caption:
> >
> > Failed to create the VirtualBox COM Object
> >
> > The application will now terminate
> >
> > Could not load the settings file
> '/home/yoram/.VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml'.
> >
> > Cannot convert settings from version '1.7-linux'.
> >
> > The source version is not supported.
> >
> > Result Code:
> >
> > VBOX_E_XML_ERROR (0x80BB000A)
> >
> > Component:
> >
> > VirtualBox
> >
> > Interface:
> >
> > IVirtualBox {339abca2-f47a-4302-87f5-7bc324e6bbde}
> >
> > ---------
> >
> > Same thing with or without root.
> >
> > What's the deal?
>
> Alas, while I can help you with sensible suggestions for installing
> VirtualBox - I've never used it so I can't comment on anything the
> application spits out...
>
> Just one question - what does "/sbin/lsmod | grep vboxdrv" say? (this
> is just to check that the VirtualBox kernel module *is* actually
> loaded - that's about as far as I can go)
>
> --
> Sam
>
> --

Yoram Halberstam