forcing programs to use a proxy setting

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Tue Jun 9 07:43:50 UTC 2009

I have my desktop computer set up to use Privoxy and Squid, and Firefox is set
up to run through localhost/3128.

I also have the Main Menu - Preferences - Internet and Network - Network Proxy
set for localhost/3128 on my desktop.  Accordingly, the Gnome Weather Applet
and the like all run through the proxy too.

But I just noticed tonight that Buoh (comic reader program) doesn't recognize
the proxy settings and apparently makes direct connections to download the
comics without going through the proxy.

This isn't an issue of real significance on its own, but it raises an
interesting question -- how can one force programs like Buoh to use a proxy for
its network access? I had assumed that the Main Menu - Preferences - Internet
and Network - Network Proxy setting did that, but apparently it doesn't.