ext4 or ext3

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 10 17:45:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 18:32 +0200, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> Le 10/06/2009 15:50, Richard Shaw a écrit :
> > On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Eric Tanguy
> > <eric.tanguy at univ-nantes.fr> wrote:
> >         How to see if the partition is ext3 or ext4 ? When i try to
> >         see the partition in gparted it's said lvm2 but that's all.
> >         Thanks
> >         Eric
> >

> > I don't have my Fedora system in front of me at work but (in Gnome)
> > it's something like "System->Administration->Logical Volume
> > Manager". If you select the logical volume you'll see a bunch of
> > info on the right side including the file system format.
> >
> > Richard
> I already tried this. I see really a bunch of info but ican't see the
> file system format.
> Eric

You can see with
$ mount
as what format everything is mounted as. You can mount ext3 as ext4 but
not the other way around. Of course, this doesn't help you determining
what format the partition really has. To do that, you need to
# tune2fs -l /dev/partition
and look at the "Filesystem features".

$ man tune2fs
tells you that ext4-only features are ununit_bg and flex_bg. If you see
these your partition is ext4, if not it can be mounted as ext3.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor
jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org