F11 dvd media errors

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Wed Jun 10 18:10:31 UTC 2009

On 06/09/2009 08:52 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 17:27 -0400, Joe Smith wrote:
>> It hardly seems possible that the F11 dvd image is borked, but that's
>> what it looks like.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Problems with your burner, or the blank discs?
>
> Try burning it at a slower speed.

Thanks for the suggestion(s).

I guess my dvd drive is going flaky. I just repeated (almost) the same
command as before:
   # dvdrecord -dao -speed=0 dev=/dev/dvd Fedora-11-i386-DVD.iso
but this time the disk had no errors with rawread/dd and the pre-install
media check passed.

The only change I made to the command was to add the "-dao -speed=0"
options, which are actually the defaults, as far as I can tell, so I
doubt that made any difference. The actual burning mode and speed
reported during the burn were the same as before.

At least it's a huge win to be able to check it before re-booting.

Anyway, F11 is installed, and now I'm merrily pounding my head trying to
get things configured properly again.

<Joe