Update to F11 or new install?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200906 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 19:17:24 UTC 2009

"Smith, Herb" <herb.smith at boeing.com> writes:
> Are there any expected downsides to doing an upgrade versus a complete
> re-install?

You don't get to use the shiny new ext4 filesystem.  Some people may say
that is an upside, but ext4 does seem like a good idea for saving a bit
or wear and tear on your hard drive.

> What do they mean by "consistent experience" ?

Euphamism for "someone may have scewed up a file, either you or the
people that wrote the upgrade logic.  By doing a clean install you get
to bury your (or our) sins."

> I'd rather do an upgrade, but if there will be some defecit in the
> final result, then I'll consider the full install.
>
> What's the consensus from those who have upgraded versus doing an
> re-install.  Is your experience "inconsistent" ?

Toss a coin.  It doesn't really matter.  I did 5 clean installs of F11
and 2 upgrades (one from F10, one from F9).  I didn't see any real
problems in either case.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              Android 1.5 (Cupcake) and Fedora-11