Fedora 10 and plotters? - OT

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Jun 11 16:38:04 UTC 2009

> I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience running an HP plotter via
> Linux, are there any gotcha's? do I have to tweak anything to tell the printer
> (and Linux) that I'm printing to 36" paper as opposed to 24"? Will the
> automatic roll feed and cutter just work? etc..

I run a vinyl cutter (same idea more interesting "pen") this way. You can
sort of drive it via the print layer but I gave up doing so and use some
scripts to take the HPGL from inkscape as I wanted more control.

There are lots of gotchas with trying to get normal printing working -
all the bitmaps vanish (naturally enough) and there are a lot of bitmaps
lurking in some postscript output.

Alan