OT: Network bandwidth monitor

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Jun 11 19:02:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 22:29:02 +0530,
  Steve Repo <scmuser at gmail.com> wrote:

> Should I install iftop and run it on the fedora box?  or do i have to
> make fedora as the router to capture all traffic? Any other tools that
> does bandwidth monitoring?

The box doing the monitoring needs to be able to see the traffic. If you
have a hub (unlikely these days) then you can watch from any of the machines.
Switches and routers will hide most of the traffic from nodes that aren't
supposed to need to see it.

If watching from the router or routing stuff through your fedora box is
a pain, you could start by unplugging network cables and notice when things
get better.

If there is almost no traffic normally, and your nics have leds, you might
be able to see which machine has a constantly flashing led on it's nic.