Not Authorized error adding printer

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Fri Jun 12 04:06:36 UTC 2009

I've tried using system-config-printer and I can connect to the IPP server,
and see the queues and select the printer, but at the end to add printer it
fails with an not authorized message. Tried running it via a regular user
command line and from a root command line. Same error.

This is what the command line shows, thou the gui shows no error other than
the not authorized.

Caught non-fatal exception.  Traceback:
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 4137, in
nextNPTab
    encryption=encryption)
RuntimeError: httpConnectionEncrypt failed
Continuing anyway..

Tried adding the printer by using the jetdirect option, but it also ends with a
not authorized message, but nothing shows on the command line.

I was finally able to get the printer added but using the browser on the
machine to connect to 127.0.0.1:631 and go thru the process to add the
same IPP printer. It then showed up in the system-config-printer list. So, not
sure what is going on??

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 7,960,139.5190 | EINSTEIN 2,602,020.7809 | ROSETTA
964,520.3532