Fresh Fedora 11 fetches 362MB+ of updates, where's deltaRPM?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 09:17:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> On 06/12/2009 12:55 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>
> > Thanks Rahul, but I guess you meant:
> >
> > "Go to System->Administration-> Add/Remove Programs, and select
> yum-presto".
> >
> > It's best not to assume that the user is comfortable with the command
> > line, even while I have no problem doing so.
>
> Well intended advice,

Thanks

> I think but it is pretty hard to follow.
>
> Command line is desktop environment independent and tends to stay
> consistent between releases while graphical interfaces change quite a
> bit and there is a different one for GNOME, KDE and so on.

I bet that the vast majority of newcomers  use the default  desktop
environment, innit?
OK, let's narrow it to two: Gnome and KDE. ;-)

> If someone
> asks for Delta RPMs specifically, it is in fact pretty safe to assume he
> or she has enough understanding to use the command line. Fedora users in
> my experience answering questions for years on this list, tend to have
> this understanding. If not, they can always ask for more clarification.

See we're already putting more time debating the merits of command-line
advice than it'd have taken you to include a second line in your reply: "or
if you prefer to do it from the Gnome desktop, go to (x) ad then (y)".

OK,  don't want to argue, mine was just a friendly comment.

Thanks again,
FC