F11 dvd media errors

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Fri Jun 12 14:09:09 UTC 2009

On 06/11/2009 11:41 PM, Dave Close wrote:
> I see a problem which may be identical to the original report, but the
> solution discovered does not fit.
> Also the correct checksum and precisely the correct size. All this done
> using the same drive. New ideas?

You might want to try the 'rawread' script from the link given
previously, although I don't see how it would make any difference.

In my case, dd reported read errors with later blocks on the disk, so I
have no doubt that the media check failure was accurate.

If I got dd to produce the right checksum off the media, as you did, I
would feel pretty safe in skipping the boot-time check. But I can tell
you from painful experience that media errors late in the install
process are Not Fun--especially if you don't have an alternative system,
with everything you need to burn a new disk image.

<Joe