Fresh Fedora 11 fetches 362MB+ of updates, where's deltaRPM?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 12 18:56:29 UTC 2009

On 06/13/2009 12:05 AM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> said:
>> I have several computers and I'm not short of bandwidth (gosh, it's nice to be
>> able to say that) but it's still nice to be able to get things done
>> efficiently.  But Rahul said that some mirror folks might prefer to avoid the
>> extra processing required by the deltarpm stuff in favour of the use of extra
>> bandwidth.
>
> Is there additional processing needed on the mirrors?  I thought this
> was just the additional drpms directory as far as mirrors as concerned
> (which mirrors could exclude if desired and they'd be dropped from the
> appropriate mirrorlist files).

Correct but if they do mirror delta rpm's they would get higher I/O
since clients would be fetching a series of smaller packages instead of
bigger ones. There is also some additional processing required on the
Fedora infrastructure to generate the deltas and on client side to build
the full RPM package from the deltas. So it is a trade-off.

Rahul