Advanced Installer

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Sat Jun 13 00:17:10 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> davide wrote:

>>> Is there any point it being anything more than ext2?  It's hardly used,
>>> only during bootup and when installing a new kernel.
>>>
>> Indeed I was thinking to keep it in ext2.
>> I was thinking also to put into it a iso for a live system (like finnix
>> or grml) just in case something goes wrong, grub2 can boot the iso
>> directly.
>>
> One other point to keep in mind - whatever file system you pick, it
> has to be one that Grub understands. It is possible to use a file
> system Grub does not read, but you have to re-install Grub every
> time you update the kernel, change the Grub menu, etc. (Unless you
> are not using Grub as your boot loader.)

Absolutely NOT true, Mikkel.  You do NOT have to reinstall grub.  If
you install a new kernel, the install process builds a new initrd for
it and updates the grub menu to reflect the availability of the new
kernel, but that is NOT a reinstall of grub.

Note that grub doesn't give a toss about the initrd, but it does have to
hand it to the new kernel so the kernel can find its loadable drivers.
That's all that happens.

The only time you may have to reinstall grub is if the order of disks
your BIOS sees changes (e.g. your old sda has become sdb, etc.).
-  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  -
-                              rigged demo.                          -