Other host already uses address -

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Jun 13 01:24:13 UTC 2009

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> It's difficult without the ethernet connection, I would have to type it
> manually. but in addition to eth0 or 1 and lo, I also have an pan0? I do
> not show that on this "good" computer? I tried plugging in a PCI
> ethernet card but the "probe" function in the network setup GUI doesn't
> see it and if I try to connect it acts like the card is not there.
> However I see a different mac address in the ifconfig pan0 which I
> assume is the address of that second card. I think I made all the
> required entries network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 ...

Wait a moment - are you trying to bring up both eth0 and eth1 on the
same network? The pan0 is not the second NIC. I don't remember what
it is off hand...

As far as moving messages from one computer to another when having
network problems, I find saving the output to a PEN drive, or flash
memory card and moding that to another machine works well. (Kind of
like the old "sneaker net" that consisted of moving floppies from
machine to machine... :-)

Mikkel