Root Access

Mike Dwiggins mike at azdwiggins.com
Sun Jun 14 05:19:24 UTC 2009

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>
>> I installed Fedora 11 on a dual-boot machine.  When I booted up on
>> the Fedora partition I went straight to /etc/pam.d/gdm and deleted
>> the line which keeps out root as a login.
>>
>> I still cannot login as root!  Did this version hide a block on root
>> somewhere else?
>>

> Yes.  You also need to edit /etc/pam.d/gdm-password (and _possibly_
> /etc/pam.d/gdm-fingerprint if you use a fingerprint reader).
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Enabling_Root_User_For_GNOME_Display_Manager
>
> Not to pick on you in particular Mike, but I really think that folks
> who feel they need to login as root ought to be better at knowing how
> to diagnose and fix such problems.

No problems at all about your comments.  My only question is, How does a
new guy learn?  If there is a better way I am ready to hear it.  The
problem is all I hear is "Never Log in as Root".  Those comments never
address "How do I install a add-on from inside Opera?"  Just the
unending mantra of Never Log in as Root"

Some of us are causal users who wander in from the Windows world!  I
wish I could live in Linux but, that ain't gonna happen!

I need to be able to log in as root to do my job!  I wish it were not so
but, it is!  Life always fair!