Root Access

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 14 16:35:28 UTC 2009

Tim:
>> I imagine the common problem being using a menu to fire off the
>> things you want to configure.

Chris Adams:
> Everything that requires root access to configure should be prompting
> for it.  If you find something that isn't, that's a bug and should be
> filed.

By and large, that sort of thing seems to work well.  Though it starts
to get annoying having to type in the password, again, every few minutes
as the password caching expires.  Or, having to do something else to
keep authentication before it self expires.

I do see the user-interest in being able to login ONCE as root, and not
have to authenticate again, as you spend a few minutes setting up
network, then a few minutes setting up DNS, then a few minutes setting
up printing, then a few minutes setting up users, etc., etc.

But once past the initial set-up, managing administration as yourself,
and occasionally typing in a root password when required, isn't too
cumbersome.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.24-78.2.53.fc9.i686