all kinds of problems installing Fedora 10

Michael and Jacqueline Everett emj4ever at dejazzd.com
Sun Jun 14 23:54:07 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am a noob to linux and have encountered several problems installing
F10 on a compaq 5900T.

256 MB RAM
70 Gig hard drive
Elise (?) motherboard
Nvidia card
Pentium III processor

I am installing from CDs ( I have copied and purchased CDs and performed
the media checks on all).

I get everything from Import Errors (/usr/lib/librpmio-4.6.so: cannot
read file data) and (/usr/lib/liblua-5.1.so: cannot read file data) to
Formatting problems (An error occurred trying to format
VolGroup00/LogVol00).  I have been using the text mode to install as the
graphical mode freezes.  I have even gotten as far as the screen where
it asks to pick the install package (office productivity) before it
fails - this has only happened twice.  It usually fails well before this
step.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I am becoming
very frustrated and disillusioned on my failed attempts.  I have checked
all of the forums and googled the problems and have gotten varied
answers to each of the issues.  None of these suggestions have helped.

I should also mention that I have tried new internal flat cables (IDE or
SCSI?) from the hard drive to the motherboard and from the disc drive to
the motherboard.

Thank you again

Mike