unable to login as root on F11

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Jun 15 01:55:55 UTC 2009

Markus Kesaromous wrote:
> At the gnome login banner:
> logging in as root is denied because it is unable to authenticate.
> I have tried with seLinux enabled and disabled to no avail.
> What do I need to do so I can login as root ?

It's funny you should ask, as the subject has been discussed as
recently as today on this very list.

The cookie cutter HOWTO is available at:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Enabling_Root_User_For_GNOME_Display_Manager

I would *strongly* urge you to ask yourself why you feel that you
should login as root.  Odds are very good that you have no need to do
so and you would be much better off learning how to acheive your goals
using less drastic measures than root login to a full X session.

If it was only your foot that you could be shooting, I'd probably care
less.  But if you insist on doing things insecurely and without
knowing your system well, you may very well find your box compromised
and causing grief to other people on the internet.

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who
are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
    -- Mark Twain