F11 dvd media errors

Roger Finks rcflinux at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 15 13:38:19 UTC 2009

Joe Smith wrote:
> I'm having no luck getting the F11 dvd media to pass the initial media
> check.
>
> Has anyone had any luck with this?
>
> Downloaded Fedora-11-i386-DVD.iso using the fedoraproject.org torrent.
>
> The disk image passed the sha256sum check. Burning to dvd+r gave
> no errors.
>
> Booting the F11 dvd and running the media check failed twice on the
> first disk I made, and again after burning and booting a new copy.
>
> Running the F11 media check on my F10 dvd was successful.
>
> Booting the F10 dvd and running the media check on the F11 dvd gave
> this error:
>
>> Unable to read the disc checksum from the primary volume descriptor.
>> This probably means the disc was created without adding the checksum.
>
> It hardly seems possible that the F11 dvd image is borked, but that's
> what it looks like.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> <Joe

I had the same issue. After trying to burn on two different DVD burners
and downloading a 2nd time I finally decided to try and upgrade my F10
system anyway. The upgrade ran to completion without any errors. It
rebooted fine. The DNS settings were not copied over and I had to enter
them. I was able to get on the network wired. Yumex would not run. Yum
clean all finally cleared that up. When I did a yum update it
downloaded  over  800mb. As far as I could tell they were all F11
updates. After that update and a reboot I got a blinking cursor and
blank screen. At this point I restored F10.