linux kernel developement

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jun 15 14:51:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Tim wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 10:07 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > this is at least the second time you've used this mailing list to
> > ask an exceptionally trivial and/or badly-defined question.  you
> > need to stop asking questions like this and do some *reading*.
>
> While I understand the sentiment, and somewhat agree, a slightly
> less harsh reproach may be better.  Do we know anything about this
> person? You could well be whipping some young teen who's just
> getting started, but decides to give it in.  Reserve the
> clue-by-fours for later use.

  i understand, and i apologize for the overly harsh tone, but this is
the same person who spawned an entire thread asking how to *use* ssh
to simply log in, and is now asking a spectacularly wide-ranging and
ill-defined question about how to be a linux "developer", with no
further detail.  that strikes me as borderline abuse of this mailing
list, which isn't even related to kernel or linux development.

  and i *did* give some advice -- find the right mailing lists, join,
*listen* for a while to get up to speed, read.  as it stands, the
impression i get of this poster is someone who, the *instant* he has a
question, jumps to the mailing list without spending any time with
google.

  others are welcome to help this person, but that would seem to be
going outside the mandate of this list.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday