VirtualBox, Linux, ethernet question...

Yoram Halberstam yoram.halberstam at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 20:05:54 UTC 2009

Ok, here is when Linux loose me! NEver had to comand line anything on
Windows so thanks for hinting me toward the solution.

I've tried the command and got

[root at desktop eclipse]# VBoxManage modifyvm "desktop.lan" --bridgeadapter1
eth0
VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 2.2.4
(C) 2005-2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
All rights reserved.

ERROR: Could not find a registered machine named 'desktop.lan'
Details: code VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001), component VirtualBox,
interface IVirtualBox, callee nsISupports
Context: "FindMachine(Bstr(a->argv[0]), machine.asOutParam())" at line 853
of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp

desktop.lan is what I get when I type hostname....

2009/6/15 Giuseppe Fuggiano <giuseppe.fuggiano at gmail.com>

> 2009/6/15 Yoram Halberstam <yoram.halberstam at gmail.com>:
> > I've tried them all...
> >
> > it says something like this:
> >
> > eth0  device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE] (rev
> 10)
> > eth0 Starting  DHCP4 client . . . . . . . . .
> > eth0 DHCP4 continues in backround
> > waiting
> > waiting for mandatory devices:   eth0 __NSC__
> > 5 3 1
> > eth0 device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE] (rev 10)
> > eth0  DHCP4 client (dhcpcd) is running
> > eth0  . . . but is still waiting for data
> > waiting
> > eth0  interface could not be set up until now
> > failedSetting up service (localfs) network . . . . . . . . failed
>
> If I understood your issue, you should not try to get an ip address
> within the guest machine until the host one is configured well.  I
> suggest you to configure the host machine using a command like this:
>
> VBoxManage modifyvm "Name of your Machine" --bridgeadapter1 eth0
>
> where eth0 is the host interface you are using.  You also can manage
> the network configuration using the GUI shipped with the package.  Let
> me point you to the official user manual instructions:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserManual.html#networkingdetails
>
> --
> Giuseppe
>
> --