NFS ports?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200906 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 02:32:17 UTC 2009

Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> writes:
>    It appears to me that NFS requires ports 111 and 2049, both of which
>    I have opened in the firewall via firestarter.  But that doesn't
>    seem to be enough, after struggling to make a connection  it also
>    needed some high numbered ports, right now, 43509, but that changes
>    from time to time. I have to keep checking the firestarter events
>    log on both the server and client to see what needs to be opened. I
>    usually block by defaullt and open only the ports needed. Perhaps
>    that wont work with NFS?
>
>    If anyone can offer some suggestion I would appreciate it.

Use nfs4?  One of the features is that ports don't move around.  In
fact you only need one port, 2049/tcp.

     http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-nfsv4.html

Fedora works just fine with only nfs4 enabled and has for the last
couple of releases.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              Android 1.5 (Cupcake) and Fedora-11