Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0.0)

Rich Emberson emberson.rich at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 14:59:35 UTC 2009

Installing fedora 11 i386 on older machine which had fedora 9 running on it.
The machine has a primary disk where fedora is placed and a second disk used
for
archiving
and storing stuff.

All files backed up on other machines.
Got i386 boot.iso from one of the mirror sites (not all of them have it and
its
NOT in any of the
iso images even though the disc 1 README file says that its there).
Did an FTP install (disc in ftp directory on another machine).

At start of install, it recommends using volume manager across all disks.

First time, I let the volume manage handle primary disk, /boot ext3 and /
ext4,
and the second disk /usr2 was simply a ext4 partition.
After installing packages and rebooting I got:

IO APIC resources could not be allocated
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0.0)

Second time, I did not use the volume manager on any disks. Primary disk is
/boot ext3 and
/ ext4. The second disk is /usr2 ext4.
After, again, installing all the packages (which takes a bunch of time) I
got:

IO APIC resources could not be allocated
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0.0)

So, I rebooted and tried editing the kernel line from:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i686.PAE ro root=UUID-...... rhgb quiet
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i686.PAE ro root=UUID-...... rhgb quiet
noapic

Still go the IO APIC and Kernel Panic message.

So whats the problem and what can I do?

Thanks

RME