laptop battery died while upgrading using Pre-upgrade

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Jun 16 23:16:26 UTC 2009

Globe Trotter writes:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to address this problem? My laptop battery died while upgrading using Pre-upgrade. It was not connected. So what should I do when I switch it on?

Cross your fingers, and hope that your RPM database isn't fscked.

> Any suggestions?

Nope, you'll be flying by the seat of your pants. It's anyone's guess what
state your system will be in. Chances are fairly good that you'll be able to
boot, at least in run level 1, so you can get a shell prompt.

Presuming that you can get a shell, the next step would be to assess the
damage to your RPM database. Presuming that rpm --rebuilddb survives, the
next step would be to run "rpm -q -a", and see what you've got.

When rpm goes down in a middle of updates, the most likely result is that
the rpm database will list both the old and the new version of each package,
and you'll need to compile a list of them all, and manually remove the old
version of each package.

Been there, done that. It's not fun, but the only other option is to
salvage the data, reformat, and reinstall.

Once you manage to put your rpm database in a sane state, the next best
thing to do is to forget preupgrade, and run F11's installer, which will
clean up and finish the install.