Install from Live CD has wrong host name

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jun 16 23:33:15 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 06/14/2009 06:51 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I have gotten into the habit of installing from Live CD, since I want to
>> verify that my hardware is still supported by the current release. It
>> seems that if you do that the following happens:
>> - the install starts
>> - the hostname screen appears with the correct hostname obtained from DHCP
>> - the system is installed with hostname localhost at localdomain instead
>> - you get to hand edit entries in sysconfig and /etc/hosts to fix it
>>
>> I haven't tried install from the install DVD yet, but on a virtual
>> install it seems to offer the localhost name right away instead of using
>> DHCP, then keeps the name you enter. Is this because I haven't changed
>> the name? Would it work if I deleted the (corrent) name from DHCP and
>> then manually typed in the same value?
>>
>> Finally, is this for some reason the intended behavior, for some
>> political correctness reason?
>
> Probably should be a RFE against Anaconda

RFE? That it use value it claims it will use? Sounds like a bug, I'm just noting
it here because it is unlikely to be fixed quickly. Of course if you don't know
how to change that hostname you are really in some trouble, depending on how
picky your peers are about you using a bogus name.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>