Multiple gcc

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jun 16 23:46:47 UTC 2009

Brian Truter wrote:
> Is it possible to install multiple gcc packages on Fedora?
>
> I am using gcc 4.4 from Fedora 11, but I would also like to install 4.3
> from Fedora 10, and switch compiles when needed by setting env
> variables, or something similar. Is this possible, and if so, does
> anyone have any info?

Using the compiler is moderately, there's an option to gcc to use another
version, the executables are in /usr/lib/... IIRC. The problem I have run into
is that the header files aren't properly separated, and you have to get the 4.3
headers, plus the kernel headers, off into some directory you can use with -I to
get correct behavior. I have some old code which uses vararg and won't compile
under current tool chains. After a lot of hassle I just keep a VM with FC4 or so
running to use the app. I have source, but it's 10's of k of someone else's
code, and I have no incentive to convert it.

Note that you are probably lucky and can happily use the default headers. If you
are really lucky you can
   "yum list compat*"
and there will be an old compiler available for you at the right level. I
haven't looked.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>