laptop battery died while upgrading using Pre-upgrade

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Jun 17 12:30:49 UTC 2009

Globe Trotter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Don't know what to do. I guess I could reinstall. But this can not be that uncommon a problem? Surely people can lose power while upgrading using preupgrade, even tho I was careless in this case.
>
> I wonder if erasing the fc11 rpms would help.
>
> While I upgrading, I was told that I would have 1674 packages which would be updated. The laptop battery died while it was on 1047 (I think! but I am pretty sure of this number).
>
> If I do yum erase \* I get asked toremove 2752 packages.
>
> If I do yum erase \*fc11 I get asked to remove 1092 packages (incl deps).
>
> If I do yum erase \*fc10 I get asked to remove 1627 packages (incl deps).
>
> The total 1092+1627 = 2719 is less than 2752. So I was wondering if removing these fc11 and upgrading from scratch would help.
>
> Btw, going into Upgrade Leonidas at boot now causes the system to say that it can not find the root system of an existing installation.
>
> Any suggestions?

Restore from backup, do over. You will spend less time and have a more reliable
install. Not to mention a clean install will probably be free of cruft from
stuff which doesn't quite get removed, file layouts which work but aren't
optimal, old filesystem types, and the like.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>