Baffled by a Cable Modem

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Thu Jun 18 00:21:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:54:02 -0500
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Will the modem give the same IP address to another NIC after the
> lease has expired, or after you power-cycle the modem?

I'm not entirely sure of the answer to that.  I know that power-cycling the
modem doesn't change anything in that regard, and further than that I've never
asked about.  If I need a modem reset I just call the NOC with the serial
number on the modem, the modem lights go off for a few seconds, and when it
comes back the reset is complete.

The company supplies all of the modems for the customers as part of the
service (and you have to turn it in if you cancel the service, of course) and
the whole thing is centrally controlled, just like their digital cable TV boxes.