OT - Success! - The new Palm Pre, Google Calendar and Kontact

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 18 10:55:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 22:16 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> as Betamax was superior to VHS

I'll argue that was a complete fallacy, at least outside of the USA,
where we didn't have the extremely slow tape speeds that VHS did at the
start.

It's my industry.  At the start, here in Australia, when they became
available, they were both as atrocious as each other.  Later on, when
they started to give moderately decent pictures, they were as good as
each other.  Later still, VHS was definitely better (picture
quality-wise, and sound quality-wise), though the margin of difference
was only moderate.

Mostly, that was down to the slightly faster tape speed of VHS, when
both machine types were running in the same recording mode (e.g. 3-hour
recording length on E180 tapes).  You get better signal-to-noise on
audio and video with the faster speed, and had less cross-talk between
video tracks.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.24-78.2.53.fc9.i686