Ultimate Fedora partition scheme ?

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Thu Jun 18 15:47:23 UTC 2009

Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 14:38 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>> With 120GB available and with this ideas in mind would this partition
>> scheme work or you have better ideas:
>> sda1 ; /boot ; 200MB ; ext3 ; fedora boot
>> sda2 ; / ; 10GB ; ext4 ; root partition for fedora
>> sda3 ; / ; 10GB ; ext4 ; root for ubuntu (it doens't need extra /boot partition)
>> sda5; 100GB ; extended partiton
>> sda6; 20GB ; PV_1 for LVM (LVM physical volume)
>> sda7; 20GB ; PV_2 for LVM
>> sda8; 20GB ; PV_3 for LVM
>> sda9; 20GB ; PV_4 for LVM
>> sda10; 20GB ; PV_5 for LVM
>
> Uhh.. IMHO there is no sense whatsoever to create multiple LVM
> partitions on a single hard drive. You can manage with a couple small
> boot partitions, and the rest of stuff on LVM. When the partitions are
> in LVM, you can resize them whenever necessary.

Let me give a different opinion on this approach.

It can be useful; one day you will want to have a "root for mandriva"
out of any LVM and you will simply kick one of the PV out of
the VG and turn the partition back to native.
I know there is pvresize, but I feel better when using pvmove alone
(which you will probably have to use in any case before pvresize).

More difficult: I want a 20 GB partition, and I'd like to have
it near the fastest part of the disk (the beginning). I just
kick sda6 out of the VG.

Having more than one PVs has no real disadvantage, so, why not?

(personally used to slice disks in 50GB or 100GB PVs)

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it